Saturday, November 29, 2008

NYC: All My Sons (Gerald Shoenfeld Theater) - 11/29/08

Arthur Miller's "All My Sons" is being given an unorthodox staging by avant-garde British stage director Simon McBurney. Much of his ideas work well (the opening storm prologue was daringly dramatic and disorienting), but others left me scratching my head (over-use of projections). The acting style here is decidedly heightened and gives the play the same aura of a Greek tragedy. Many people thought this approach was inappropriate for the play (preferring realism), but I found it a fascinating choice. The cast is very good indeed: John Lithgow, Dianne Wiest, Patrick Wilson, and yes, Katie Holmes are all giving fully invested, distinguished performances. However, I would have preferred the bold acting itself to speak for the play, and not let the directorial touches get in the way, as it occasionally does here. Overall, a very interesting look at one of the warhorses of the American theater.

Rating: *** (out of *****)

No comments: