Tuesday, December 16, 2008

"Don't Dress for Dinner" (British Stage Company) - 12/16/08

Marc Camoletti's farce, "Don't Dress for Dinner", is receiving an absolutely smashing revival at the Royal George Mainstage. I think it's the funniest thing I've seen since the same playwright's "Boeing Boeing" in London last year. Both plays are remarkably similar in plot: both involve a playboy and his sidekick juggling the women in their lives. Needless to say, as I've said before, plot is secondary to how a farce is performed. The cast here is wonderful and is quite expert in gracefully and effortlessly escalating the hilarity. I have to single out, however, Spencer Kayden, as the deadpan cook at the center of it all. Hers is the single funniest performance I've seen all year.

Rating: ****1/2 (out of *****)

No comments: