Friday, October 17, 2008

SAN DIEGO: Tobacco Road (La Jolla Playhouse) - 10/17/08

Despite being one of the longest running non-musicals in Broadway history, "Tobacco Road" is often alluded to but rarely performed. Hence, I jumped on this opportunity to see this legendary play at the La Jolla Playhouse during my recent trip to San Diego (I also caught two shows at the Old Globe). What struck me most about, and what I enjoyed most about, this tale of Depression era desperation was its surreal overtones and racy content. Indeed, the cast gave appropriately over-the-top performances all around, and David Schweizer heightened, hyperactive direction all worked towards giving this production a gutsy, heightened, dreamlike (nightmarish is more like it) quality. This is a great opportunity to see a wonderful production of "Tobacco Road".

Rating: *** (out of *****)

No comments: